Every American who has ever agonized over a tax return, stretched a paycheck thin, or watched the government vacuum money out of their earnings deserves to know what just went down in Minnesota. Pandemic-era fraud schemes have drained billions from programs designed to protect the most vulnerable among us. And the perpetrators? They keep skating by with consequences so featherlight they might as well not exist.
Minnesota has earned a grim distinction as the epicenter of this taxpayer betrayal. Federal and state investigators have flagged the Medicaid fraud schemes uncovered there as among the largest thefts of public funds in state history — carried out brazenly while the rest of the country was locked down and struggling. The latest development in this ongoing saga delivered an outcome so grotesque it demands national attention.
From The Post Millennial:
A Minnesota Somali man accused of being involved in an $11 million Medicaid fraud scheme has pleaded guilty to charges in exchange for a sweetheart plea deal offered by Democrat Attorney General Keith Ellison’s office.
Said Awil Ibrahim pleaded guilty on Monday to stealing $2.2 million from the state during the fraudulent Medicaid operation, in which he paid himself over half a million dollars of stolen taxpayer funds. As part of the plea agreement, Ibrahim will receive five years of supervised probation, a stayed 150-day jail sentence, and will return the stolen $2.2 million to the state through a payment plan that will be determined at sentencing.
You read that correctly. A man admitted to stealing $2.2 million of your money — pocketing north of half a million dollars for himself — and he will not spend one single day behind bars. Not one.
A payment plan for a $2.2 million heist
The terms of this deal are a gut punch to every taxpayer in America. Ibrahim gets supervised probation. His jail sentence is “stayed,” meaning it only activates if he violates probation terms. And the $2.2 million he stole? He gets to pay it back in installments — on a schedule that hasn’t even been determined yet. Prosecutors also tossed out a racketeering charge and two additional theft counts as part of the agreement. Generous bunch.
This was not some clerical mix-up or accounting error. The evidence reveals calculated, premeditated theft. Text messages obtained by prosecutors show Ibrahim telling his co-defendant he planned to “over bill the hours” and “do a hit and run.” His associate’s response? “We gonna party bro. Insha Allah.”
Those are not the words of a confused bookkeeper. Those are the words of someone who understood precisely what he was doing — and assumed he’d never face real consequences. Turns out, he assumed correctly.
The mastermind vanished, and the system held the door open
Here’s where the story curdles from outrageous to farcical. Ibrahim’s co-defendant, Abdirashid Ismail Said — the alleged architect of the entire $11 million operation — is a fugitive. Said skipped a mandated court hearing in April after Hennepin County District Court Judge Juan Hoyos released him on $150,000 bond. The kicker? The judge let him keep his passport. This, despite a police detective explicitly warning in the criminal complaint that Said had family in Kenya and posed a serious flight risk.
Said is now believed to be in Kenya. Worth noting: he was previously convicted of fraud in Minnesota back in 2021. His punishment then? Probation and community service. No prison time. And now he’s simply gone.
Ibrahim’s plea deal requires him to help authorities track Said down. So the state’s grand strategy for locating a fugitive who looted millions hinges on the goodwill of another fraudster who just landed the cushiest deal in Minnesota legal history. Brilliant.
The feds need to step in — yesterday
Democrat Attorney General Keith Ellison’s office engineered this sweetheart arrangement and has not responded to requests for comment. The judge disregarded law enforcement warnings and enabled the mastermind’s escape. Minnesota’s Democratic leadership has demonstrated — repeatedly — that it is either unwilling or unable to hold these criminals accountable.
Federal authorities have no excuse to stay on the sidelines here. These are federal Medicaid dollars. If an ordinary American shorted the IRS by a few thousand bucks, they’d have agents at their door before breakfast. Yet a man who confessed to stealing $2.2 million gets probation and a layaway plan.
The Department of Justice needs to intervene, bring federal charges, and guarantee that stealing millions from the American people results in a prison sentence — not a permission slip. Until real consequences exist, the fraud pipeline stays wide open. And honest taxpayers keep getting robbed.
Key Takeaways
- Ibrahim stole $2.2 million in Medicaid funds and received zero jail time under a plea deal.
- The alleged mastermind fled the country after a judge ignored explicit flight-risk warnings.
- Democrat AG Keith Ellison’s office brokered the deal and has not responded to comment requests.
- Federal intervention is essential — state leadership has utterly failed to deliver accountability.
Sources: The Post Millennial, Fox News